It’s been cold in Saratoga…very cold, and with the weather looking brutal for this weekend, we thought some hot beverage recipes were in order! Read on, make one of these, and bundle on the couch with a blanket because this winter hasn’t been a kind one so far!
Nutella Hot Chocolate
4 cups of milk
2 tablespoons of Nutella
2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1. Heat milk in a medium sized saucepan on medium/high heat until beginning to warm and steam. Add the spread, cocoa powder and sugar, and whisk until dissolved and combined. Bring to a gentle simmer while stirring, and take off heat.
- 2. Serve with your desired toppings.
Mint White Hot Chocolate
2 cups milk
2 cups half & half
1 12 ounce bag white chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
A few drops of food coloring
Marshmallows for topping
- 1. In a large pot, add milk and half-and-half, and heat over medium heat until steamy but not boiling.
- 2. Stir in the white chocolate chips. Continue stirring until chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is creamy.
- 3. Stir in food coloring and extracts. Stir until smooth. Serve warm.
1/2 gallon apple cider
2 tablespoons honey
5 whole allspice berries
6 whole cloves
pinch ground nutmeg
1 1 1/2-inch piece ginger, thinly sliced
8 cinnamon sticks
- 1. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zest from the orange to create long strips.
- 2. In a medium pot, bring the cider, honey, allspice, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and orange zest to a simmer. Do not boil. Heat, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- 3. Ladle into cups and serve warm with the cinnamon sticks.
Warm Homemade Eggnog
2 cups heavy cream
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
4 large eggs
¾ cup brandy
- 1. In a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream, sugar, and nutmeg just to a simmer.
- 2. In a blender, blend the eggs on low speed for 1 minute. With the motor running, gradually add the hot cream mixture. Blend until frothy, about 30 seconds more. Add the brandy and blend to combine. Serve warm.
3 cups water
10 whole green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
5 whole cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and quartered
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
1/3 cup honey
4 black tea bags
1 1/2 cups milk
- 1. Place the water in a small saucepan, and add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla bean and scrapings. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until mixture is aromatic, about 15 minutes. Whisk in honey, and drop tea bags in pan; turn off heat, and let steep 3 minutes.
- 2. Strain tea through a fine strainer or a coffee filter into a warmed serving pot. Heat milk in same saucepan over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes; do not let it come to a boil or it will separate. Pour into serving pot with the tea, and stir well to combine. Serve immediately.