The Saratoga Story
In 1872, when Saratoga Spring Water first began bottling, life was very different than it is today. Horse and carriage were the primary modes of transportation. Alexander Graham Bell was still four years away from uttering his famous words to Watson. Edison was seven years from chasing away the night.
Our story begins in a long forgotten park on the shores of Geyser Lake in Saratoga Springs NY. It was at this small but elegant spring house that the affluent from America and Europe came to enjoy our famous spring water. This site remains the location of our present day bottling facility.
1950's - 1980's
By the 1930's Saratoga Spring Water had become world-renowned. Having outgrown the original spring house, a larger facility was added.
The 1940's brought new developments in automated bottling technology that modernized the operation. Returnable bottles were cleaned in some of the first automatic bottle washers. They were then filled, inspected and manually placed into wooden crates.
Saratoga Spring Water Company continued as one of the few remaining American-made premium waters in operation. We credit our prosperity during this era to the focus on quality and craftmanship that we have always been known for.
The more recent history of Saratoga Spring Water has been that of continuing determination and hard work to remain America's finest spring water. As the only Premium American spring water, we feel it is our duty to continue the legacy of fine products that has endured for more than 140 years.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here's some of our favorite highlights of our company history, advertising, bottles, and other interesting photos.
The original Saratoga spring house. Photo taken sometime in the 1870's or maybe earlier.
A photo of Vichy Park circa 1870's.
A very old stereographic photo taken looking North across Geyser Lake and what is now Route 50.
The bottling plant circa 1876-1890 with a fresh delivery of water going out.
The cover of Harpers Weekly showing the tasting room and our gazebo which is still standing to this day.
The Saratoga delivery cart in front of the Grand Union Hotel in Saratoga Springs.
The bottling plant as it stood in 1936 after the addition of the large warehouse.
An interior view of the warehouse from 1936.
The old family farm that once stood on the hill next to the bottling plant in 1936.
We made this manual print of a 1940's advertisement from old metal printing plates found in a closet here at our plant.
Some very early bottling machinery before the construction of the new masonry bottling building.
An early stage of the bottling plant from the 1800's.
A rare photo of the basement under the warehouse circa 1936.
Another old print we dug up. Safeguard those precious ingredients!
Trucks waiting to be loaded on the shoulder of Geyser Rd. circa 1942.
Looking Southeast at the newly constructed brick masonry building circa 1942.
Interior of wooden warehouse building circa 1942.
Our delivery cart waiting for traffic on Washington St. in Saratoga Springs.
A very early hand blown bottle. These would have likely been hand filled and corked.
An early Saratoga Vichy bottle from the late 1800's.
One Quart Vichy bottle from the mid 1900's era.
One Quart Saratoga Gingerale from the mid 1900's.
A more recent 28oz Vichy bottle from the 1980's.
A 16oz Vichy bottle likely from the 1970's - 80's when styrofoam labels were the craze!
An original wood crate from 1929.
Saratoga Spring Water 6 pack from the 1980's.
A sea of blue bottles waiting to be filled.
Glass bottling line production.
Our pride and joy!
Our humble bottling plant today.
1 - 30